|A DIFFERENT WAY TO LEARN
The Child’s Perspective
Capture my MOTIVATION to LEARN!
• I LOVE to be reinforced, but the usual “social reinforcers” may not be meaningful to
me in the beginning.
I am a Visual Learner
• My visual “channel” is stronger than my auditory “channel”.
• Visual and concrete experiences help me UNDERSTAND the meaning of my
I Prefer Consistent, Predictable and Organized Routines
• Keep it the same RIGHT FROM THE START
• When things change, please SHOW ME WHAT TO EXPECT
I Understand and Process my environment in a unique way
• Sometimes, I organize and remember things in “CHUNKS” or “Wholes” and have a
hard time understanding that the separate “parts” mean.
• It’s sometimes hard for me to learn by watching what others around me are doing
• Since I’m not always sure what the “important” information is in my experiences, I
sometimes focus on small “bits” of information that may not even be relevant.
• I almost always have a hard time processing auditory information. For me to
understand, please SHOW me what you mean!
• I’m not a fan of “multi-tasking”. It’s hard for me to attend to information coming form
several “Channels” at the same time.
One thing at a time please!
• I learn best when skills are broken down into “bite-sized” pieces.
By: Tracey Spiro
Special Education /Aba Teacher